Almyta Systems Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeSBS and AID Software packagesUser Interface and Navigation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This site is dedicated to Almyta Systems Inventory Software

Multi User config Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi User config Questions
    Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 11:51am
   I'm impressed with the package and purchased a multi
user license .  I have a question about configuring the
software for use at our company. We have  3 workstations  with the
program each linked to the db file on a Seagate 1TB GoFlex  external hard drive. Its  set up on our Netgear N300 Router .     I have my sales desk access the program for stock levels
and invoicing  and My Inventory workstation open for maintenance of inventory
additions etc.
     We can bring up the program on all three workstations at the same time however When we try to do anything  on two work stations at
once ( Access the database or view data/reports lists etc) The program will only allow one workstation at a time to use the database.   Is this the the design of the program ?   Can we do a workaround by running local copies of the database on each workstation and merging or updating the copy on the server hard drive periodically ?  It is advantageous to have use of the data at multiple workstations simultaneously.  Appreciate any thoughts on making this possible.
                       Cheers and many thanks
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 10:46am

Thank you for your kind feedback, Gypsy!

No, this is not how it is supposed to work. You should be able to open AID on any number of PCs simultaneously.

If you do not have a server on your network, the simplest way is to create a share on one PC, create the AID subfolder on the share, and move your database to it. On other PCs, you can just link to it by double-clicking New Company and selecting "link to existing" choice. It can be tricky now, because you already created companies with a particular name on other PCs. Let me know if you need help with it.

Regarding your Seagate drive and the router. I just do not see how you could connect this drive to your router. The drive is USB and the router does not have USB interface.

I have looked up specs for drive: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/standard/goflex/

and for the router: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/work-and-play/WNR2000.aspx#two

Gypsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 3:09pm
Thanks Bill  That is good news and means we have something improperly configured here.  Ill backtrack and see where we went off the rails.  I have all three machines linked to the same company file on the share drive - I Created the company file on one workstation and used the" Move to the LAN button" to point it to the share drive on the router.  On each of the other workstations I selected the same company file (from the pull down menu)  which was moved to the lan. I didn't create a local file with the same company info on the other machines.      Should I create duplicate local files on each machines hard drive ?         Our Router is actually an N300   WNR-3500L  and looks the same as the one in your link with the exception of a USB jack at the end of the port connections - Its been great for us and we call it our poor mans server.     The portable  hard drive we have is the large more robust Desk model  called a Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk  PN 9ZQ2P4-500  1TB           We also have WD 2 TB   My book  which is used for back up  connected to one of the workstations.   

Were really excited to have the new system  - Ill post again when its live here.
                                 All the best !          
Debra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 10:45am
We have AID and host its data on WD 2 TB Mybook with a network interface plugged into the router. Works like a charm. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic