Almyta Systems Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeAlmyta Control System (ACS) and ABC InventoryInventory Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This site is dedicated to Almyta Systems Inventory Software

Extensive Lot Tracking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kallaserves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extensive Lot Tracking
    Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 12:01pm
Hi Bill, first of all I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to help everyone.

My company is building a medical device so traceability is extremely important with regards to regulations.

I've only begun to play with ABC for 2 days and know how to enter items, use my barcode scanner to give it serials, print serial, to make assemblies with BOM and issue work orders for assemblies.

Ultimately this is what I would like to have happen.

1. I would want to receive raw material, give them a serial, and store them in a place to be used in the future. (direct receive)

2. Make a sub assembly using raw materials. Hopefully when doing this, i will be able to select the serial of the raw material or use a barcode scanner myself. (I assume this is done via order details)

3. If I want to know what went into making an assembly, I would scan the serial on it and it would pull up an assembly tree with the serial of each item that went into making it. If it's an assembly with many sub assemblies, I would want the option to expand all and the serial to be displayed. It's ok for it to be a lot of pages.

4. If I want to recall a batch raw parts. I would scan the serial code of this raw part. It would show that 10 went into making an assembly with serial xxxx and that the rest are still on shelf.

So what's really important for me is 3 and 4 and I am wondering if ABC can do this.

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 2:38pm

1. I would want to receive raw material, give them a serial, and store them in a place to be used in the future. (direct receive)

For once, go to the System/Options screen, tab 1, fields 5 and 14. Choose your serial style and next number to use. On the Item Master, go to the Stocking Properties tab, tick off Use Serial, and Let System Assign.

2. Make a sub assembly using raw materials. Hopefully when doing this, i will be able to select the serial of the raw material or use a barcode scanner myself. (I assume this is done via order details)

You can do sub-assemblies via work orders. It is the same way as doing assemblies. You can read about it in the Help/Intermediate document, page 37, Assembling Finished Goods.

3. If I want to know what went into making an assembly, I would scan the serial on it and it would pull up an assembly tree with the serial of each item that went into making it. If it's an assembly with many sub assemblies, I would want the option to expand all and the serial to be displayed. It's ok for it to be a lot of pages.

There is one hard way of doing this at the moment. For Units in stock, go to Inventory/Locate and Move. For the sold our consumed units, go to the Inventory/Find Shipped or Consumed. Scan serial number into the Serial field. Click the View button. On the next screen double-click the Serial number. The Unit Detail screen opens. Copy the Receiving Reference number, which should be the work order number in this case. Go to the “Reports/Inventory/All Adjustments/Negative Adjustments”. In the Reference row, choose “= “ for the filter, paste WO number into the Stating column. Click the Browse button. All consumed parts/raw materials, including serial numbers, will be there.

4. If I want to recall a batch raw parts. I would scan the serial code of this raw part. It would show that 10 went into making an assembly with serial xxxx and that the rest are still on shelf.

Scan serial into the Inventory/Find Shipped or Consumed. Click the View button. Double-click the Serial cell. On the Unit Detail screen, copy the Issuing reference, which is a consuming work order. Go to the “Reports/Inventory/All Adjustments/Positive Adjustments”. In the Reference row, choose “= “ for the filter, paste WO number into the Stating column. Click the Browse button.

Scan serial into the Locate and Move screen this is what has left in stock.

Edited by BillD - 18 Oct 2012 at 2:40pm
Kallaserves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kallaserves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 5:25pm
Hello Bill,

Thank you for the response.

I was able to get 3 to do it when I followed your instructions. However I do have some more questions regarding 3.

1. When I create the Work order for the assembly, I can't seem to enter in any serials or print it for that matter like we can when receiving an item. The tabs I see are order header/warranty, status/ parts/ comments. So I ended up giving it a serial number in locate and move/view, which would be a pain to do if I had to go through many items.

2. I could also just use the default W#### system as a way to track my assemblies. But I would need a way to print the W##### with a serial code on it and put that sticker on my assembly.

Then I can do the - inventory adjustment and set the reference = , then scan in my w#### code. Do you think this would be viable? I'd just need to find a way to print the W#### serial.

3. Using the solution proposed in the previous post, if an assembly has sub assemblies will those sub assemblies expand to show their parts/serials? I did get it to work using the negative inventory adjustment but I only had non assembly items.

Many thanks!
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 7:49pm
For each assembly, in the Item Master screen, Stocking Properties tab, tick on Use Serial and Let System to Assign. In the System/Options screen, go to the Numbers tab, change field 5 for the serial pattern and set field 14 to the next serial number.
When you Issue Parts per the work order (Work Order/Issue Parts button), the software consumes selected components (with picked serials) and creates finished product with next serial.

The label can be something like this

It can be downloaded and installed from this page http://www.almyta.com/free-addins.asp

The ADJ05861 will be your W#### work order number.

Edited by BillD - 23 Oct 2012 at 7:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kallaserves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 12:05pm
Hello Bill,

Thank you for the fast response.

I understand exactly what you're saying, ABD-2388 is the automatically assigned s/n for our assembly. However from the previous post it seems it seems I need to look at this s/n and find its WO in order to pull up the parts consumed(and their serial/lot).

Is there a way to pull up the info by scanning the ABD-2388 code? If that's not possible, then is there a way for the addin to also print the WO# ADJ05861 in serial underneath it? So then I can just scan the WO serial under - adjustments report =

My last inquiry is whether or not the - adjustment report will pull up the individual parts of each sub assembly on the WO

Thank you!
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 12:35pm
Yes, you need to input Serial in order to find the producing work order number. There should be a shorter way, like in one step, but at the moment, there is not.

...whether or not the - adjustment report will pull up the individual parts of each sub assembly on the WO

Not for subassembly work orders, no. If you assemble all intermediates in one work order (explode BOM on work order) then yes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kallaserves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 12:57pm
Gotcha.

So then is it possible to have the WO# print in serial format? So then I can do a - inventory adjustment = WO and just scan the barcode of the WO. I would do away with the serial of the sub assemblies and treat the WO as the lot(serial).

Many Thanx
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 1:40pm
This is not possible, but we could modify a label to barcode WO # (for a small fee for registered users). Then one could scan the WO into the screens.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic