Almyta Systems Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeAlmyta Control System (ACS) and ABC InventoryOrder Entry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This site is dedicated to Almyta Systems Inventory Software

Subcontract Orders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subcontract Orders
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 4:27pm
Hi,

I have been playing around with ABC Inv single user for about a week or so and it appears that it is just what we, as a business, have been looking for.

Firstly, can I say "congratulations", a superb piece of software that is highly flexible, and its great to try it out before we buy the multi user version.

However, I have a quick question.

We generally buy a number of base components in and assemble them into a new component, so using Work Orders and BOM is great to accomplish this, and also we can disassemble if required which can happen to meet customer orders as an emergency procedure.

But sometimes, our base components and our kitted/assembled products need to be sent out to a supplier for subcontract work eg a special surface coating.

What would be the best way to handle this in ABC? I have played with just direct issue to a subcon order number and a direct receipt back in (when received back with the coating) which works okay but is recorded as an order outside ABC using a manual system. I also tried using a Work Order but whilst I could do it this way as well, it was quite messy again (I may not be doing this right as a Work Order).

Is there a way I can process a subcontract order in ABC? Or am a best using direct issue and direct receive as I mention above?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Paul.

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 5:11pm
Greetings Paul,

Thank you for your kind feedback.

One way of handling an outsourcing is thru the work orders. Let us say, you have an uncoated pipe PIPE1U and after it gets coated, it becomes PIPE1C. In addition, your subcontractor is Subcontractor One with ID SC1.
Add two parts to the Item Master Pipe1u and pipe1c. Set supplier to be <make> for Pipe1c. Create a BOM for Pipe1c which will consist of Pipe1u and maybe labor, shipping, and other expenses. To create a non-inventory item (expense or service) in the Item Master, (1) create a category service, expense, etc. and tick the Service check box on it, (2) create a new Item and assign your "service" type category to it.
Now, when you have created a BOM for the coated pipe, create a warehouse location (Inventory/Warehouse Locations menu). Call it SC1 after your subcontractor. You can make it a staging location, to simplify the picking process later. Tick Staging checkbox for that matter.
When this is done, you can create an outsourcing work order where your assembly is PIPE1C. When shipping PIPE1U to SC1, just move the pipes like you would do with your inventory inside the warehouse. You can also put the pipes on hold if you wish the Available Quantity be more accurate. After the coated pipes arrived, find the work order and issue the pipes. This will consume PIPE1U and produce PIPE1C. You would need to remove the uncoated pipes from hold prior to the consumption if you placed them on hold while shipping to the subcontractor.

- Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic