Almyta Systems Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeAlmyta Control System (ACS) and ABC InventoryOrder Entry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This site is dedicated to Almyta Systems Inventory Software

"bug" when issuing parts of incompleted items

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "bug" when issuing parts of incompleted items
    Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 8:27am
My inventory works with large numbers of items that are made in-house. Because of the range of sizes and colors I offer, I keep very few in stock and primarily create them on demand when they are ordered.

When I create the shipping order and list the finished product then hit issue, it offers to issue the components and subcomponents for the incompleted item. I foolishly assumed this was a simple shortcut to creating the work orders, issuing the parts, completing the item, then issuing and shipping the completed item. Instead it wreaks major havoc on the shipped numbers and the invoice total. I have not managed to work out how much havoc it wreaks on my in-stock quantities, but I am hoping none, since I have done this multiple times now, because I keep forgetting I have to use the more complicated method of issuing and completign items.

I used to work in software, so I know how important it is to have user reports of this sort of bug, even when there is a simple work-around. If you would prefer I report this in another fashion, please point me at the right location (I've actually worked with bugzilla in the past, if you use that sort of bug reporting system).

Here are a few screen shots to demonstrate the problem:

As you can see here, the initial order is for one of item RG-LUX-S-G. This item is a rope halter in luxury rope, size Shetland, color Gold. Creation of this item requires 5.5 meters of the 6mm luxury rope in gold. So the direct issuing without workorders has it instead specify the quantity of the component as the shipped amount.

This issue with the quantity would be trivial except for one thing. It multiplies the unit price (the price of the finished halter) by the quantity of the components, exponentially increasing the order total!! I am sure this would wreak havoc if I relied on the system for determining my income from my orders or for creating my sales invoices. I had intended to use it int he future for determining the income and to verify my sales prices are appropriate, which is also why I have had so much concern about the additional cost fields.

Thanks again for your help.
Rebecca

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm
I should also note that I have now tested the similar function for nested assemblies and have revealed a definite error in quantities. I now have 0,4 of an item committed when I shouldn't. This quantity corresponding to the amount needed of the item it is made out of. So that probably means my in-stock quantities are screwed up as well. I also have no idea how to get rid of this committed status.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to decide which items or types of units are allowed decimal quantities and which aren't. This item happens to be one that cannot be split up, which makes it easy to recognize the error when it shows fractional items. Most of the others make sense with fractional quantities.

I would appreciate directions on the proper procedure for creating work orders and assemblies for a PO with multiple make items on the list, specifically for when the "make" items include nested assemblies (parts that need to be assemled before assembling the parts). I can't seem to make this happen right reliably. Because your documentation is split into so many pieces, it is very difficult to track down the information that way. I would be quite happy to have all the items on the same WO, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I also can't figure out how to create the subwork orders for the times it doesn't happen automatically. I have managed to make it happen once, but can't remember how I did it and have no idea what I might have done differently.

If you have any recommendations for how to determine what inventory items might now be funky as a result of these bugs (or my errors in not following the correct procedure and trying to take the short cuts it seems to offer me), I would really appreciate it. I tried making a report of all inventory adjustments so far this year but the report had no records and I'm not sure why. Might it have problems with the EU date format (day-month-year) that I use to enter the dates? I have done manual positive and negative adjustments in the same time period, so I'd expect those at least to show up in the report even if the PO and WO-based adjustments don't belong in that report.

I must be doing something stupid, but I can't figure out what.

I really do like this software, which is why I put time and effort into describing this issues and asking for help instead of just using something else. I am sure it can do most of if not all of what I want it to if I can just figure out how the heck I'm supposed to ask it to do it.

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 5:00pm
Hi Rebecca,

You issued RG-LUX-S-G item 5,5 times. Look at the first snapshot of yours. Which means you overshipped. There is a Crossed Hand button to the left of Order Nmber. Click it. This will return 5,5 units back in stock. Ship 1. Restock the rest back to storage.
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 5:19pm
To fix committed, on order, in stock, use Data/Fix Data Discrepancies. Execute three top option.
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 5:26pm
Regarding a proper procedure for creating WOs, what software version do you currently have?
rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 2:07pm
Bill, I didn't ship 5,5 units. The system did when I accepted the option about issuing the components, which is the whole point of this bug report.  I would have to experiment to get the exact pop-up text and I'd rather not break my system more than it is! But I guess I can make a testing copy if needed. There is one component for this item: the rope it is made of. And this size requires 5.5 meters of rope. That's where the 5.5 quantity comes from. I said yes to a pop-up about issuing the components and the result is that it says I shipped 5.5 of the finished unit.

It isn't easy to see what version of software I have. I'm used to a Help->About, but there isn't one. But I think the splash screen says something like 3.12.26Z. It's the free version.  My OS is Windows 7.

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:25am
Okay, I made a test copy of my system. This order is slightly different, but I took more screen shots to walk through it.

Two items ordered: TT-7M-L13-GULD and I-KH-4M. The first is a training lead made of 7.5 meters of gold rope and a single popper. The popper is made of .1 of leather. The second is a spliced-in carabiner, which consists of the single clip that gets spliced into the ordered rope (primarily work).

I create the order and hit issue. It asks the following:

For whatever reason, it refers only to the second item, but both have insufficient quantities in stock. I press OK. Next pop-up:

I press OK again, leaving the radio button on "Cover all subassemblies" because I know I have a similar issue on the other item, only worse because it is stacked (an assembled item within an assembled item).

The resulting issue screen:

Everything looks fine. It shows 0 of the items not in stock and the correct quantities of the correct components, so I select to issue the stock. The resulting order:

See the quantities shown as shipped? It adds together the amounts of the subitems... in a somewhat odd way, since TT* consists of 7.5 meters of rope and 1 popper (SNERT) and the popper consists of .1 units of leather L-*. So it adds that up to 7.6 units of TT*.

When I first look at the invoice totals, everything looks fine. But if I close the order and come back, it has multiplied everything out.

Does this help clarify the issue?

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:56am
If I instead pick to make work orders, I still don't get a WO for my subassemblies, despite making what should be the correct selections.

First pop-up:

I select YES, because I want to make everything I need to fill this order.

I again say YES, because I know TT* has a subassembly. But the result is a WO for TT* and a WO for I-K*. And no subworkorder for the assembled component of TT* and no inclusion of the subcomponents.

As you can see, the subassembly SNERT is not shown as in stock and there hasn't been a WO created for making it. And I can't figure out how to make this automatically. If I issue instead and tell it to issue the subcomponents, it ends up funky like for doing that directly from the SO. The window offers a create PO option, but not a create WO option.

So this is why I would like to know the correct procedure, so I don't manually have to create WOs for my subcomponents every time. Even though my subcomponent is relatively simple, it should be possible to work this way. Plus sometimes I decide to prep several of the subcomponents at one go and this subcomponent is included in many other items as well. So it is easier to set it up as a subcomponent, so I can make alternative parts for the leather if I have a different thickness in stock and only have to do that once, as opposed for each item that has one.

I'd also like my procedure to work properly, so the system is able to track what I sell of my assembled items and not just what I sell of components. I want to be able to work out what types, sizes, and colors are most popular from a report, so I can make better decisions about what to have ready in stock, what to discontinue to simplify stock, and where items are so popular that they could probably handle a price increase. It looks like the history isn't made correctly if I use the issue method for issuing components. But that may still be me making a procedural mistake.

I hope this clarifies the issue better. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find directions for making WOs for subassemblies in the documentation. The multiple levels of documentation make it more challenging to find relevant documentation for a particular issue.

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 1:49pm
Rebecca,
Something has been fixed in the commercial version. Also documentationis updated and pending for publishing. The free version was realeased yesterday. It is 3.12.27Z. To see the version, go to the System/Software Version. I agree on missing "About"....not nice.

I will take a close look at your posts in a few days and get back to you. Have a great weekend.
rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:03pm
Thanks Bill. I am downloading the update now and will test to be sure the bug sin't resolved already. I will try to do that tomorrow and let you know. No point you wasting time if things are working properly now!

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 1:09pm
The first issue with the funky results of issuing components is still the same, except it now makes the number available -1, which I don't think it did before. I should note that the packing list is correct and the invoice total is correct as long as you don't close and reopen that window. The bug might be caused by the system initially knowing what it did then "forgetting" when you come back to the order. Not that I know enough about this sort of programming to turn that into code, but it might assist your geeks in fixing it.

The second issue (with exploding BOMs) is fixed. It now pulls the components of the subassemblies into the BOM--setting the number of the subassembly to 0 and listing its components in the correct amounts.

So this leaves me with the simple "workaround" to the first issue of using the WO option and letting it explode. I haven't studied how well it checks the sales of subassemblies in this case, but it isn't relevant for me. Just mentioning I didn't research it in case there are tohers to whom it is relevant.

So now I know what to do to avoid future issues and just have to figure out where, if anywhere, my stock totals are funky.

Thank you for your attention and work on this issue. If there is anything I can do to be of further help, do not hesitate to let me know.

If I were a larger company, I would definitely consider this software worth purchasing. Unfortunately I don't earn enough to warrant that at this point, but it is definitely making my life easier!! My brain is no longer capable of tracking supplies and sales without something to help and this is much easier than anything I could have come up with on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic