Almyta Systems Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeAlmyta Control System (ACS) and ABC InventoryOrder Entry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This site is dedicated to Almyta Systems Inventory Software

PO Currency/Currency Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PO Currency/Currency Update
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:05am
I am trying to enter a purchase order. My supplier is set up to have prices in British Pounds. I have the foreign currency checkbox in the options enabled. However, it opens a PO with all the fields in kr (DKK). I then try to select in the bottom to switch from DEFAULT to British Pounds. It opens the Currency screen. I press update all and it gives me an error message, despite my internet connection functioning perfectly otherwise. It says to report the issue, but I couldn't find the appropriate option in my help menu (perhaps because I am using a free version not the commercial one?).

So how do I figure out what is going wrong, fix it, and get my PO using the right currency? I really need this working properly.

Also is there somewhere I can manually modify the conversion rate to match the rate I pay? For example, I will be paying in PayPal, which might use a slightly different conversion rate than your update sytem. And if I otherwise paid with a Visa, I know my bank would use a different rate. They are really greedy with their conversion rates....

If I need to do anything else to debug the issue, please give me step by step instructions. I did work in IT once-upon-a-time, but Windows is not my strong suit and my brain isn't what it used to be.

Fan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:49pm
Hi rrww, what is your local currency? Is not it EUR? I am not sure where DKK is coming from.

1) You can update currency rates right on the screen and do not do it automatic for now.

2) You can change the rate on the fly, when you switch currency to a foreign one, it will ask you would you like to update, say no. Next m it will show you the windows with the rate taken from the Currencies screen. You can modify the number to reflect the  "greedy" paypal rates.
rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:42am
My local currency is Danish Kroner. Denmark is one of the EU nations that refused the Euro. We'd actually have some really beneficial exchange rates right now if the Danish national bank didn't insist on buying useless things to try to keep it somewhat stable compared to the euro! The Kroner is comparatively stronger right now otherwise. And my one supplier still uses GBP.

When I checked the option for foreign currency rates, why does it insist on defaulting to kroner instead of defaulting to the pound like I specified for this supplier?

Fan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:02am
Try going to the screen, System/Company Locations/Countries and Currencies. 
In the Sys Curr Code (top left) input DKK. Uncheck the Use for Denmark, because it is a default. Check the US, EU just below it, maybe the UK and others if needed. Try to Update Rates. Does it work now?

In the System/Option screen, tab 2, field 13, input kr, assuming your Windows localization is in kr.
In the supplier screen, More tab, Price Catalog Currency, select default currency for each record, that is pricing in the EUR, USD, GBP, etc. Leave DKK suppliers alone.

When you create a PO, select a supplier first, the currency will switch to the default suppliers currency automatically. Does it?

Edited by Fan77 - 20 Mar 2012 at 11:04am
rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Fan77 Fan77 wrote:

Try going to the screen, System/Company Locations/Countries and Currencies. 
In the Sys Curr Code (top left) input DKK. Uncheck the Use for Denmark, because it is a default. Check the US, EU just below it, maybe the UK and others if needed. Try to Update Rates. Does it work now?

No, it does not work. All this was done already. I have successfully updated rates in the past but I now get an error. My internet connection is working fine (I couldn't be posting here if it weren't).

In the System/Option screen, tab 2, field 13, input kr, assuming your Windows localization is in kr.
In the supplier screen, More tab, Price Catalog Currency, select default currency for each record, that is pricing in the EUR, USD, GBP, etc. Leave DKK suppliers alone.

The currency symbol was blank, because I prefer it not write something all the time. My windows is in English because of a voice entry system I rely on frequently. But the formats are all Danish. But I now entered kr. The catalog currency for the relevant supplier was also specified already correctly.

When you create a PO, select a supplier first, the currency will switch to the default suppliers currency automatically. Does it?

If I start over then say NO to updating the rates and enter a rate manually, it works. If I ask it to update the rates, which fails, it doesn't work, probably because of the failure. So at least I can work around it now, but something must be wrong somewhere since I can't update the rates. I would still like to report that issue properly or have more help for debugging it if possible.

Can the rate be changed after the order is started or only the first time? I'd like to be able to enter an order when I know what I want then adjust the rate to the proper one when I pay it.

Fan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 9:37am
>>Can the rate be changed after the order is started or only the first time?

Only if you switch it back to the default and then select a new currency. The windows with a new rate will popup.

>>The currency symbol was blank, because I prefer it not write something all the time.

Then you can probably keep it blank.
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:20am
Regarding the currency table update. We made a change to it in version 26D. However, free software always stays at shade A and will become updated only when we go to 27A. I mean you cannot update using Help/Download Updates button until 27A gets released. I have posted, a new ABC there, but you ned to update manually.

1. Download this file
http://systems.almyta.com/downloads/zipped_upd_312_26Z.exe into C:\AlmytaSystems.
2. Start Almyta Company Selector, click the Refresh button.
3. Click Maintain
4. Click Update Now.

See if your Update Rates function works now. If not, there will be a file C:\almytasystems\CurUpd.txt
Could you please email it to support@almyta.com

Thank you

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:29am
Bill, thank you for you explanation and efforts. I had no problems downloading the update, but I did have problems with the directions. I downloaded the file and moved it into the directed folder. I hit Refresh. Then I clicked Maintain. Maintain told me I had to pick a company. I picked the company I usually use. When I then clicked Update Now I got an error. Might it be looking in the company subfolder instead?

I then proceeded into my company to be sure and still was unable to update rates and still did not find the error file. I assume this means the update has not yet been installed.

Please advise. If you would prefer I wait until the next free update is available, I would be happy to do so. I am a very small company and it may be a few weeks or more before I do a foreign currency order again anyway. But I do appreciate knowing WHY it isn't working.

As for my other issue with the values ending up zero on the additional costs report of items in a foreign currency, I think I found the problem. I entered the exchange rate manually and all the costs are entered properly. HOWEVER, the default currency field shows 0,00 on my closed purchase order. So for whatever reason, it did not calculate the currency conversion properly (if at all).

I just did a new PO in DKK (the default currency) and it is fine--the default currency field as well as the PO currency field both reflect the correct costs. I do find it odd that despite the PO being in DKK it wants me to update the rates? I enter 1 manually since DKK is the default currency. Since the rate still needs to be entered, I also find it odd that it works properly for the DKK orders but ended up with a total of 0 on the foreign currency order.

Since everything is in stock now and my order is closed, I won't do more about it now. Next time I do a foreign currency order, I will make sure I check the default currency field and if it still appears as 0, I will open a new thread at that time so we can debug it properly without messing around with having to pull items in and out of stock again. Maybe it is some sort of freak event and it won't happen again anyway.

Thanks again for your time and the great product.

Sincerely,
Rebecca

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 2:10pm
Hi Rebecca, there are some odd things happening when I am switching my Windows to Denmark and Almyta Default currency to DKK. The auto-update screen stopped to work properly. It started to pull wrong rates. So, even if you update the software, it will be even worse for you, because it will modify your right rates to the wrong ones.

The problem is in parsing a text "kr. 123.456.789,00" into a number.

Thank you for working on this issue with us. We will make sure that software parses currency texts into the numbers flawlessly.

- Bill

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 2:16pm
Thank you Bill for the update. If I can be any further help with the debugging, please let me know. I'd be happy to try anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic