Almyta Systems Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeAlmyta Control System (ACS) and ABC InventoryInventory Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This site is dedicated to Almyta Systems Inventory Software

Importing ItemID with 0 units

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importing ItemID with 0 units
    Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 11:01am
Hello, I have been reading and trying out your software for just a few days now and I can see that when I really know how to use it, it will truly be a great tool.

I have a number of questions, but for now, just two I would like answered as I don't know where to read on this:

I use multiple warehouses. I created five.
I use multiple Warehouse Locations withing each Warehouse. For now I created around 200 warehouse locations for use with a single warehouse.
I have imported an Item list (800 items)  into Item Master list, all items in the same warehouse, and then a much shorter  item count (200 items) into Inventory Units, all items in the same warehouse, but in different warehouse locations.

Q1: The Default Location field of all the items, when viewed one by one  in Item Master/Stocking Properties  is the WAREHOUSE that I specified in the Item Master List (800 Items), yet in my Inventory Units list (200 items) I had specified both a Warehouse (same for all items in the list) value AND a Location Value (different for all items in the list). 

The Default Location (in Item Master/Stocking Properties) is a drop down and DOES contain all the Warehouse Locations (not the warehouses) that I created prior to importing my Inventory Units. If I click in that drop down list, I now have no choice but to chose a warehouse location. Which is fine seeing as I want the Items to be recorded in their correct warehouse locations, but now am I going to have to do this for all 200 items, one at a time? and every time I import a list?

I noticed that in the Item Master list import, the WAREHOUSE field is called Default Location, and in the Inventory Units import, the Warehouse Location field is called Location.  Could this be why, in Item Master,  the software is placing Warehouse in the Default Location's drop down instead of the Warehouse Location? (remember, the Warehouse Locations ARE in the drop down and can be chosen, AND the Warehouse ISN'T in the drop down list but shows up as the defaulted value (hence once we click in the list we have to chose something else i.e. a Warehouse Location))

Is there something wrong my import unit list (define as follows:
Item ID Units Warehouse Location Receiving Reference Date Received Remark

Q2: All items (26 of them) that were at zero (0) units in my import list show up as having 1 unit in inventory.  Am I now going to have to a Direct Issue for the 26 items and bring them down to zero?  Again, was there something I may not have done correctly in my importing. Maybe I didn't check some box regarding 0 units somewhere?

Note: Everything seems to appear fine in an Inventory Units In Stock  report (except for the 0 units appearing as 1). The Locations are correct (Warehouse Locations) and the Warehouse is correct, .

I know I wrote a lot, but more info the first time quickens the solution.

Thank you,

André

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:36am
Hello André,

A1. The Item Master List, Default Location dropdown is not filtered by warehouse. There could be only one location per item. If you receive an item in multiple warehouses, use something generic as "DOCK". Change location at the receiving time or change it later. Go to Inventory/Locate and Move, select DOCK in the location, and click View.
You can bulk-move the units by checking the box on the left of each row and then clicking the Move button. The list you are importing is okay.
To change the default location for the imported item list, import two columns Item ID, Default Location into the Item Master List database. You can import only columns that you need and add more columns later. this will update the existing records and append new ones matching them by Item Id.

A2. Do not import rows with 0 units. To adjust them down, go to Inventory/Locate and Move, click View. Select (using check box on the left) all units you need to get rid of and click the Issue button at the screen top.
Andre_D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:57pm
Thank you for your responses.  I will look into yoru A2 suggestion immediately.

However, as far as the Default Location for imported items go, I believe we might be talking about different things.

You suggested:

---To change the default location for the imported item list, import two columns Item ID, Default Location into the Item Master List database.---

I believe this will update the actual Warehouse for the specified items and not the Warehouse Locations.  I didn't have a problem with the Warehouse.  It is the Warehouse Locations that are not showing up correctly. And the problem seems to be ONLY in the Item Master/Stocking Properties interface where the Warehouse Location box (called Default Location) defaults to the Warehouse and not the Warehouse Location specified in the import list. The Warehouse is not in the drop down menu, and this is correct.   Even in an inventory report, we can see that the items ARE in the correct warehouse AND in the correct respective warehouse locations. So they ARE being imported correctly. It's just in the Item Master/Stocking Properties interface that the Warehouse value appears as the default value where I would not normally be able to chose a warehouse, but rather a warehouse location (i.e. the Default Location drop down menu).

Thank you none the less for you quick responses.

André

Andre_D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 7:04am
Final note.

Now that I have been using your software for a more than a few days, I realize that I misunderstood your previous solution for the Default Location.

Thank you for your explanation.  It was in fact my error and your explanation is absolutely fine.

Thank you,

André
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic