Almyta Systems Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeAlmyta Control System (ACS) and ABC InventoryOrder Entry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This site is dedicated to Almyta Systems Inventory Software

Assembly entry order

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuelTechnology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assembly entry order
    Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 8:19pm
We're trying to implement ABC inventory in a production facility where we make variable quantities of goods (measured in kilograms and gallons). The manufacturing process is such that the quantity of final product produced cannot be predicted with perfect accuracy. We must measure how much was made after the process is complete. We want to be able to use the software on the production floor so we can enter quantities of raw material consumed as we use them during the lengthy production process. But there's one small problem.

When issuing items on an assembly work order, ABC Inventory immediately pops up a box asking the quantity of items to be produced, then asks you to enter the lot numbers and quantities of materials consumed. Although this works fine in situations where you know beforehand how much you will produce, it doesn't work as well when you don't know how much you have produced until the process is over. 

I've been told that the software produces and consumes raw material in a single transaction to preserve inventory value. I understand the usefulness of that method, but if consumption and production are done all at once in the end anyway, I don't see why ABC has to ask how much was produced and consumed in the order that it does. Asking how much is consumed before asking how much is produced seems like a more flexible order of operations. It would work just as well for those who can predict the exact quantity to be produced in advance, but it would make things so much easier for those who want to use the software on the production floor during the production process in situations where the quantity of final product varies by 1-2% because of spillage, evaporation, or inexact measurements.

I don't know the inner workings of ABC software, but I have done a fair amount of programming myself and it seems that having the software ask for quantity produced after entering the quantities consumed would be fairly simple. And since both transactions are posted to the database simultaneously anyway, it would make no difference on the back-end integrity of the software. Can this change be made, or is it something hard-coded into the behavior of Access?
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 7:30pm

One way of doing this is the following.

You can create a logical location and call it after WO number or PL #. When adding this location, make it a "staging" - check the Staging checkbox. While consuming materials, just move as many units as consumed into this location. After finished product is made and measured, you know all numbers. Go to the work order, click Issue Parts, specify finished product quantity. On the issuing screen, select staging location and click Load All button. This will pick everything from that location. Adjust units on the issuing screen if necessary. It would be easier to adjust if a work order calls for more materials than it takes. In this case, the issue screen will consume everything that was staged.

Some people print out a work order and then write down everything that was consumed. Later in the office, someone inputs all numbers into the system.

In case these two approaches do not work, we can tweak the software to do exactly what you want.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic