Almyta Systems Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeAlmyta Control System (ACS) and ABC InventoryInventory Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This site is dedicated to Almyta Systems Inventory Software

PO Cost vs Unit Cost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PO Cost vs Unit Cost
    Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:39am
I have a problem. My unit cost appears to be the same as my PO cost, but it shouldn't be. I had extra fees and shipping, which I noted in my purchase order form. These extra costs should be distributed to the items I bought, to give a realistic reflection of the cost. I need that information so I can price items properly and don't sell to a customer for less than my realistic cost.  I have received the items--they appear in stock. but the Unit Cost still has the same value as PO cost for items that have the same currency as the PO currency. I haven't yet acquired stock from my foreign currency suppliers to confirm what it is doing there.

Is this an option I failed to have activated or what? It doesn't even distribute the tax onto the cost, which is really wrong. The tax has to be paid and is part of the expense of getting an item into stock! And the extra costs include the transfer or card fees and would include customs fees for anything I import from outside the EU. It is not unusual for me to do that.

If this isn't possible in the software, I will have wasted all my time putting items into it. This is my main reason for wanting inventory control software--to control my REAL expenses, as opposed to just tracking what my sellers say things cost and what I have in hand. I thought that ability was standard in inventory programs.

So I really hope it is just an option somewhere I failed to activate or deactivated without knowing what it meant.

thanks.
Rebecca

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 7:26pm

Hi Rebecca,

The options you are looking for are located in the System/Options screen, tab 12, fields 9 and 10.

The landing cost distribution will be recorded in the unit additional cost. Each unit has two costs attached to it: 1) Units Cost = actual purchase order amount, 2) Additional Cost = All expenses related to the acquisition.

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 7:01am
Thank you. I do not mean to be an idiot, but I certainly feel like it sometimes.

I have now made the following settings in my options:

9. Based on number of units
10. Shipping, Other, and Taxes

Do I need to do something for this to be reflected in items in purchase orders already received? Or how do I find this "additional costs" field? I still see PO Cost 15 and Unit Cost 15 on the one item I received yesterday. If I need to redo the PO somehow, I would appreciate advice on how to do so without ending up on twice the amount in stock.

As an unrelated question: I have somehow managed to issue parts twice for one work order. Is it possible to undo that or do I have to do a positive inventory adjustment with an appropriate adjustment code (like erroneously issued parts)?

I am trying to study the manuals, but it is a little tricky to figure out. I am sure it gets easier once I am used to it. I have used other inventory software int he past, but not a system with bills of materials and work orders.

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:21am
Hi Rebecca,

You will always see "15" attached to the units received against PO if you paid "15".
How to find and change the Additional Unit Cost:
1. Go to the Inventory/Locate and Move
2. Select your PO in the Receiving Reference list and click the View button.
3. Double-click any Serial number cell or click on a row and then click the Details button. The Additional Unit Cost is on the right, bottom.

The additional costs are shown on reports such as negative and positive inventory adjustments but by default this column is not shown. You need to select it when configuring a report. Also if software was not configured before to distribute the costs, these reports will show zero in this column.

To see Additional cost for current inventory:
Download this report definition
Unzip and install by using System/Import Reports
This Inventory Actual Value report contains the Additional Cost.

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 11:55am
Thank you BillD. That is a huge help!

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 12:19pm
Bill, I finally got an order in today so I could test the nice report. But it still seems to show 0,00 as the additional value. I am not sure how to figure out what I did wrong. It also shows 0 as the avg cost, despite the amount in stock reflecting the amount I just acquired.

This PO was in GBP. I couldn't update the rates so entered the rate used for payment manually. I have a thread in the other section about my rates issues. I was having trouble getting the PO in GBP at all.

I'd really like to figure out what is going wrong. Is it possible the system needs time to refresh or update something? I opened the Report thing AFTER the PO was received and completed.

rrww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 1:04pm
Okay, I managed some more debugging. I entered a new PO in DKK and added additional costs (expenses for driving to pick up the goods). It works. The additional costs appear in the report properly. So this means the error is definitely with my previous PO. For whatever reason, it is not converting the GBP to DKK properly. I have no idea how to debug it further.

Regarding the report, the additional costs are total, not divided by item. I guess I have to do that part manually. It would have been useful to have those distributed to the individual items and added to the book cost, so I had a realistic "actual value of each item" and a realistic "average value" (to reflect variations in the additional costs). I really wish this value showed up properly in the cost field. Please consider that in future versions... having a PO cost and an "actual" cost with a setting for whether that actual cost should be the avg of all purchases or the most recent purchase.

Also, it would be beneficial on foreign currency POs to add an additional "extra costs" field in the local currency as opposed to only the field in the foreign currency. If I were to import from a country outside the EU, I would need to pay customs fees and a processing fee for the customs. This is always calculated in DKK! So it would be useful to be able to enter this amount directly without having to convert it to the foreign currency.
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:11am

Hi rrww,

The actual cost gets copied from the PO screen into the receiving screen. When on the receiving screen, click the grid button (top, left). Select Rcv Unit Cost. The software will memorize it and show you this column next time.

The unit cost from the receiving screen gets copied into the unit detail record. To access this value, open Inventory/Locate and Move screen and click View. Use the grid button to show available columns. Choose Unit Cost and the Added Cost. Also you can always double-click a serial number cell of any unit. This will open the Unit Detail screen. There you can find Standard Cost (copied from PO), and Additional Unit Cost (Distributed expenses). You can always double-click the PO reference at the top and see the original PO. You can adjust the costs here if they do not match for some reason.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic